Thursday, October 30, 2014

Best Laundry Detergent Recipe


I have experimented for years with making my own laundry soap.   I started making it because my youngest, Amy Grace, has eczema and regular detergents were causing her to itch and break out.   I started out making the liquid kind, but I got tired of the boiling and stirring jello-like detergent.  

Now I make the dry kind.  It is much easier to make, store, and pour.  It is also perfect for my new energy efficient washer because it is naturally low sudsing.  Here is my recipe.   Make some up and save some money today.  (All of these are normally close together in the laundry aisle at Wal-Mart or you can order online.)


1 Box of Super Washing Soda 3 lb. 7 oz. 
1 Box of Borax 4 lbs 12 oz. size 
1 Box of Baking Soda 4 lb. 
1 bar of Fels-Naptha 5.5 oz. (grated)

1 bar of Zote (grated)
1 container of Oxy-Clean 1.3 lb or other Oxygen Cleaner (Keep Box and measuring cup for detergent.)


I grate the soap with a cheese grater while I watch a movie with the kids.  You can also use a food processor.  Dump all ingredients into a large bucket with a lid.  Mix with a long spoon or your hands.  I fill up the Oxy-Clean container,  keep it near the washer, and just refill as needed from the bucket.  I use the Oxy-Clean measuring cup to measure the detergent.  You just need one cup per load.

No comments :

Post a Comment