Monday, November 3, 2014

A Sacred Sabbath

 
When you work in the ministry, your Sabbath is not really a time of rest.  It is more a time of exhaustion.  My Sunday starts early with cooking.  When you serve around 40 people lunch every day, you better start cooking early.  I normally cook chili, spaghetti, soup, or hot dogs; anything I can put into my giant crockpot.  My husband, Billy, leaves the house to get everything set up at the church.   I get the little ones breakfast and make sure they are dressed for the week's theme.  We have a different theme every week.  This week was Mexican Sunday.
 
Then I throw together my own themed outfit and make sure I have my lesson, serving spoons, and plenty of candy for kids  saying Bible verses.  By the time service is over I have danced and sung with the kids, taught a lesson, served lunch, tried to wolf down my food between dishing up seconds, and helped clean up the sanctuary.  My husband has picked up most of the children  and adults before service and then taken them home again in our minivan.  He has to make several trips. 
 
When we get home, we would like to collapse, but then Billy has to study for his college classes, and I spend the afternoon cleaning the kitchen I destroyed that morning.  With supper, youth group for my teen girls, and baths for the little ones, the day is gone quickly.
 
Sometimes I feel sorry for myself that I can't just show up at church and sit comfortably while listening to an inspirational message, but  I know that is not my lot in life.  I believe that the Sabbath is more about your soul resting in the fact that you are doing exactly what God wants you to be doing.  My body gets tired, but my soul gets its refreshment from watching the children and families in our mission grow into the people God wants them to be.  I am so blessed to be apart of God's work in my city.

No comments :

Post a Comment