Thursday, November 6, 2014

Enjoying the Holidays



Christmas will be upon us soon.  We always decorate our tree and get out the manger scenes after Halloween at our house.  Yes, I'm aware that the appropriate time to do this is after Thanksgiving, but we are homeschoolers, and we don't follow the rules.

We put out our decorations early so we can soak up the light and joy of the holiday for as long as we can.  Sometimes the holidays can move at the speed of light, just like this picture my daughter, Mary Margaret took of the tree while she was moving. 

It is our goal to focus on our family and others who need a friend this Thanksgiving and Christmas.   I will have to intentionally slow down and not get stressed over family obligations or baking messes to make this happen.  I will do my best to enjoy each moment, for life is lived in the moments that I too often overlook.

This is one of my favorite parts of Luke 2, the chapter we recite each Christmas. 

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.  Luke 2:7

Scratchy straw for a bed and the stench of animals all around her did not make for a wonderful birth, but I know Mary treasured that moment because it says so.

But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19

Lord, help me to treasure each moment, the good ones and the not so good ones because they all work together for good.  Amen

No comments :

Post a Comment